Taylor’s, accepted by most wine authorities to be the greatest of all port shippers invites you to an exciting and informative tour of its famous lodges at Vila Nova de Gaia.
Taylor’s, now in its fourth century, recently renovated its 300 year old Cellars to incorporate a modern and innovative museum circuit. The story of Port wine and Taylor’s is now told through an extensive audio-guided visit, available in five languages, (English, Portuguese, Spanish, French and German) which will take you on a vivid tour of the Lodge that includes an array of films, images, exhibits, photographs and paintings.
The visitor is given the opportunity to journey into the past and learn about the history of Port wine and its production today, the Douro Valley and the house of Taylor’s, its past, present and its wealth of exceptional Ports.
Upon completing the tour, guests will be presented with two of Taylor’s iconic Port wines to taste: Chip Dry – Extra Dry White and Late Bottled Vintage (LBV), invented by Taylor’s in the 1930’s and 1970’s respectively. During this tasting, you will be able to relax in the beautiful surroundings of Taylor’s tasting room, or enjoy some fresh air in the pretty gardens or terrace with its magnificent views over the city of Porto.
Price for the audio tour and tasting per person: €12
Cost for children (8 years and upwards) for audio tour, with grape juice and crackers: €6
No reservation is required for the audio tour and you will be able to get started as soon as you arrive.
In addition to the two wines included on the tour, there is a range of Port tastings for our visitors to enjoy including a choice of many different aged Tawny Ports, or one of Taylor’s classic Vintage Ports.
With advance booking, you may also enjoy a private tour and tasting. Whatever your knowledge of Port we can provide you with the right level of tour. Each tour is customised and charged based on each event. Should you be interested in a private tour and tasting, please contact email@example.com.
If you are arranging for a tour group (larger than 10 people), then we would ask you to please schedule visits in advance in order to guarantee availability and the best experience.
For those interested we also recommend:
• Traditional opening of Taylor’s Vintage Ports with hot tongs;
• A private commented Port tasting with accompaniments
• Different educational experiences such as a Vintage Port Master class or informal lesson in Port cocktails
• Tasting of olive oil from the Douro valley - Quinta de Vargellas extra virgin;
• A visit to our wine shop where you can find the whole range of Taylor’s Ports including charming gift boxes or rare Vintages;
• Tasting by-the-glass of old tawnies;
• Restaurant "Barão de Fladgate” -www.baraofladgate.com, open daily for lunch from 12.30 until 15.30 or for dinner from 19h30 onwards;
• Trying one of our food and wine pairing options during your tasting
• Tapas and Port may also be served on our terrace in the afternoon, weather permitting
Opening Hours: Monday to Sunday: 10h – 19h30 – last entry at 18H
The audio-guided tour lasts, on average, one hour, with a further 30 minutes required for the Port wine tasting at the end, in the tasting room.
Please note that there’s enough material on the tour for 2 hours if you wish, therefore if you think you would appreciate staying longer for the tour and tasting, then we would suggest that you arrive no later than 4.30 / 5pm.
Rua do Choupelo, nº 250
4400-088 Vila Nova de Gaia, Portugal
GPS Coordinates: 41.13394, -8.61435
Tel. +351 223 772 956 / +351 223 772 950
Fax. +351 223 742 899